Knowledge-driven natural stone maintenance
Natural stone is a popular finishing material in architecture. It is widely used and appreciated for its aesthetics and durability. That impairment of these core qualities – through damage and wear and tear – is annoying needs little explanation. With over 20 years’ experience in specialist natural stone maintenance, we know when and how to apply the best available techniques to bring back the aesthetic value of each stone type, consistently preserve it, and extend the life of natural stone surfaces.
Natural stone properties determine the working method
Natural stone is also often chosen for its uniqueness. Every type of stone has its unique technical properties. These unique properties, such as genesis and chemical composition, then result in unique appearance and texture. But these properties also determine the possibilities of application and use. And they in turn dictate the damage mechanisms to be encountered and the best renovation and maintenance techniques to be applied. Nitesco combines unparalleled natural stone knowledge and pioneering implementation options, enabling us to offer customers optimum quality that stands the test of time with flying colours.
Natural stone maintenance subscription
By performing systematic corrective and preventive maintenance on natural stone, we consistently keep surfaces in the desired state of repair at limited and anticipated costs. We thereby prevent both appearance degradation and premature property ageing, as well as higher renovation costs and inconvenience in the long run.
Long-term maintenance plan for floors and facades
Our maintenance subscriptions are generally based on customised multi-year maintenance plans. These structural reports are meticulously drawn up by our product specialists/experts in the preliminary phase.
We always start with an architectural inspection / baseline measurement and inventory of, among other things, construction drawings and any floor or façade construction plans, existing stone types and stone properties, building location and detailing, existing maintenance condition, intensity of use, routing and damage mechanisms.
We always analyse and prognosticate with a pragmatic focus on customer wishes and needs, quality requirements, possible schedule of requirements and budget.
The report is specified in consultation on building components (rooms and location), material applications (floors and facades, etc.) and cost type (operation and investments). This gives you full insight into the necessary maintenance or replacement per component, the cycle per activity and costs per unit.
TNO research shows Nitesco's unsurpassed structure optimisation
The quality of our service, compared to that of others, has been objectively measured by TNO. The research results show that Nitesco significantly outperforms other market players. Our unique treatment method leads to an optimal surface finish and provides excellent protection, such as high wear resistance and minimal permeability.
Before situation: worn Carrara Bianco floor surface - Damaged surface structure and high porosity
After situation: repair treatment by third party - Vulnerable crackle structure and low abrasion resistance
After situation: repair treatment by Nitesco - Optimal surface density, strengthened and made amorphous
Benefits of planned natural stone maintenance
- Increased safety. Regular maintenance and inspection can identify and address potential safety hazards and related liability risks in a timely manner; such as cracking, breaking, sagging or loosening floor tiles, façade panels and slab anchors.
- Improved appearance. Well-maintained finishing materials have a positive impact on the perception of building quality, which in turn benefits businesses or organisations seeking to attract and retain customers or tenants
- Cost savings. Regular maintenance can identify small problems before they become major, thus avoiding costly renovations or replacement in the future. On top of this, daily cleaning of well-maintained natural stone is also more efficient and effective.
When to subscribe?
In general, it is advisable to start preventive maintenance almost immediately after the installation and commissioning of almost all types of natural stone. This ensures a sustainable quality appearance over time and minimises costs and inconvenience.This includes deep cleaning and impregnation to prevent stains, efflorescence and moisture damage.In the case of limestone and marble, preventive reinforcement by vitrification is also recommended. This reduces the scratch sensitivity of natural stone surfaces and reduces wear and tear.
Meanwhile, are you dealing with existing natural stone that is already overdue for maintenance? Then it is important to first have it repaired or renovated and then start planned maintenance. This is the best way to maintain the attractiveness and value of your natural stone.
What is involved?
Every multi-year maintenance plan (which also means every maintenance subscription) is tailor-made in which both the service composition and maintenance intervals vary greatly.
- Floor maintenance. For floors, the minimally trodden and worn floor edges also receive minimal attention. High-use areas such as walkways from the entrance to the reception or the lifts receive extra attention. This is to reduce costs and keep quality optimal and continuous.
- Facade maintenance. For facades, this also applies to higher weathering areas and where damage therefore occurs more frequently. Furthermore, for façades clad with natural stone slabs, it is important to regularly inspect critically for damage and sometimes barely visible detachment or cracks, which can cause (parts of) slabs to loosen and sag.